NW Regional Spinal Cord Injury System University of Washington UW Rehab Medicine Go to home page

UW Medicine Harborview Medical Center

© 2024 University of Washington

follow us on twitter

follow us on facebook

Watch us on YouTube

Watch us on Vimeo

Personal Caregivers: Resources*

[Return to SCI Forum report: Personal Caregivers]

Online Guides for Hiring and Managing Caregivers

Personal Care Assistants, How to Find, Hire & Keep Them
Three-page overview with suggestions: https://craighospital.org/resources/personal-care-assistants-how-to-find-hire-keep

Personal Care Assistance, How Much Help Should I Hire?
Three-page guide to organizing your care: https://craighospital.org/resources/personal-care-assistance-how-much-help-should-i-hire

Rehab and Beyond
A patient handbook for inpatients on the UWMC rehab unit. It has several pages regarding personal caregivers with suggestions from others with experience and sample interview forms.

Background Checks

Washington State Patrol WATCH Service
Washington Access to Criminal History
Phone: 360-534-2000;  www.wsp.wa.gov/crime/crimhist.htm

The Information Source*
P.O. Box 40181
Spokane, WA  99220
Phone: 509-624-2229 or 800-548-8847; Fax: 509-458-8956 or 800-303-8317  

*A private background checking company used by Kirk. They are fast and affordable. You must set up an account with them before using their services. I use signed releases from applicants and fax the request. They now have a web-based option also.

Financial Support

COPES (Community Options Program Entry System) is a program of the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services that pays for personal care and other services for eligible clients in their own homes or in residential facilities. It is designed for people who, without COPES, would need to be in nursing homes. Eligibility is based on health/disability status and financial need. For information: www.aasa.dshs.wa.gov; 800-422-3263. Brochure on “Summary of Home and Community Services and Eligibility,” Aging and Disability Services Administration: www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/Publications/22-866.pdf.

[Back to top]