Getting Around Town: Securing You and Your Chair
Presented on February 27, 2019 by Elisa Smith, PT, DPT, NCS; Holly Wakefield, PT, DPT, NCS; Susan Collins, CTRS/R; and Julie Grant, OTR/L.
Whether you travel by car, van, or bus, you want to get around town safely. What is the best way to do this? Stay in your chair, or transfer to a seat? What if transferring is not an option? In this forum, two physical therapists, an occupational therapist, and a recreation therapist provide up-to-date information so you can make decisions about the best, safest way to transport yourself and your wheelchair.
Presentation time: 54 minutes. After watching, please complete our two-minute survey!
Watch this video on our YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/vOMazfcEqRs
- University of Michigan’s Transportation Research Institute, http://wc-transportation-safety.umtri.umich.edu/knowledge-translation
- Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists search site, https://www.aded.net/search/
- University of Washington Medical Center’s Driver Rehabilitation Program, 206-598-1805
- NMEDA dealerships, http://www.nmeda.com/locate-dealer/
- Child Passenger Safety Technicians, https://cert.safekids.org/
- Indiana University School of Medicine Automotive Safety Program, https://preventinjury.pediatrics.iu.edu/special-needs/
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Policy statement: Child passenger safety. Pediatrics. 2011;127:788-793.
- Buning ME. Wheelchairs and Transportation. In: Lange ML, Minkel JL, ed. Seating and Wheeled Mobility: A Clinical Resource Guide. Thorofare, NJ. SLACK Inc;2018:385-395.
- Buning ME, Bertocci G, Schneider LW, Manary M, Karg P, Brown D, Johnson S. RESNA’s position on wheelchairs used as seats in motor vehicles. Assist Technol. 2012;24:132-141.
- Karg P, Cotzin B, Manary M, Fuhrman SI. Guidelines for Use of Secondary Postural Support Devices by Wheelchair Users During Travel in Motor Vehicles. J Pediatr Rehabil Med. 2011;4:251-257.
- Lawler B, Novak L, Talty J, Yonkman J. Safely transporting children on the go with special health care needs. OT Practice. 2013;8-13.
- Schneider and Manary MA. The Dos and Don’ts of Wheelchair Transport Safety.
- Transportation safety tips for professionals involved with prescribing and/or providing wheelchairs. Wheelchair Transportation Safety. University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute. Accessed 12/28/18.
- Mobility Device Securement: Standards and Wheelchair Marking & Tether Strap Programs. Accessed 2/14/19.