Personal Care Attendants
For many people with SCI, personal care attendants are a necessary and sometimes complicated part of everyday life. Here are some resources to help you in this process.
- Managing Personal Assistants: A Consumer Guide
Paralyzed Veteransof America (http://www.pva.org); 2000; 70 pages; call 888-860-7244 (toll free) to order a free copy, or download for free at http://www.pva.org/site/DocServer/PersAsst.pdf?docID=687.
- Personal Care Assistants, SCI Information Sheet #6
Free; UAB-Spain Rehabilitation Center; 205-934-3283; email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Download for free: http://www.spinalcord.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=22411
- Caregivers and Personal Assistants
How to Find, Hire and Manage the People Who Help You (Or Your Loved One!) by Alfred H. DeGraff. Saratoga Access Publications, Inc.; 2002; 512 pages; paper: $25.
- Yes, You Can! A Guide to Self-Care for Persons with Spinal Cord Injury, Chapter 19: Attendant Management.
Hammond MC and Burns SC (Eds). 3rd ed., Paralyzed Veterans of America (http://www.pva.org), 2000. Available in English and Spanish, hardcopy only, $15. Call 860-860-7244 (toll free).
- SCI Forum Report: Personal Care Attendants
In this SCI Forum from 2002, a panel of individuals with SCI talked about their experiences with personal care attendants and shared tips for finding, hiring and managing them. Click here to read what they said.