Published Articles on SCI by UW Faculty
The following is a partial list of SCI-related articles in peer-reviewed publications by UW faculty. (UW faculty names are in boldface.)
- Kalpakjian CZ, Bombardier CH, Schomer K, Brown PA, Johnson KL. Measuring depression in persons with spinal cord injury: a systematic review. J Spinal Cord Med. 2009;32(1):6-24.
- Collinger JL, Boninger ML, Koontz AM, Price R, Sisto SA, Tolerico ML, Cooper RA. Shoulder Biomechanics During the Push Phase of Wheelchair Propulsion: A Multisite Study of Persons With Paraplegia, Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2008 Apr;89(4):667-76.
- Graves DE, Bombardier CH. Improving the Efficiency of Screening for Major Depression in People with Spinal Cord Injury. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine, 2008;31:177-184. [Click here to read the abstract.]
- Jensen MP, Barber J, Hanley MA, Engel JM, Romano JM, Cardenas DD, Kraft GH, Hoffman AJ, Patterson DR. Long-term outcome of hypnotic analgesia treatment for chronic pain in persons with disabilities. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 2008;56:156-169
- Lasiene J, Shupe L, Perlmutter S, Horner P. No evidence for chronic demyelination in spared axons after spinal cord injury in a mouse. J Neurosci. 2008 Apr 9;28(15):3887-96.
- Logan WC Jr, Sloane R, Lyles KW, Goldstein B, Hoenig HM. Incidence of fractures in a cohort of veterans with chronic multiple sclerosis or traumatic spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008 Feb;89(2):237-43.
- Rajan S, Hammond MC, Goldstein B. Trends in diabetes mellitus indicators in veterans with spinal cord injury. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2008;87(6):468-74.
- Ullrich PM, Jensen MP, Loeser, JD, Cardenas DD. Pain intensity, pain interference, and characteristics of spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord. 2008;46:451-455.
- Wing PC, Dalsey WC, Alvarez E, Bombardier CH, Burns SP, Fitzpatrick MK, Green D, Huff JS, Kincaid MS, Lucke KT, Napolitano LM, Poelstra KA, Vaccaro A, Wilberger JE, Wuermser LA. Early Acute Management in Adults with Spinal Cord Injury: A Clinical Practice Guideline for Health-Care Professionals. Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine, 2008.
- Anderson KD, Borisoff JF, Johnson RD, Stiens SA, Elliott SL. The impact of spinal cord injury on sexual function: concerns of the general population.Spinal Cord. 2007 May;45(5):328-37.
- Anderson KD, Borisoff JF, Johnson RD, Stiens SA, Elliott SL. Spinal cord injury influences psychogenic as well as physical components of female sexual ability.Spinal Cord. 2007 May;45(5):349-59.
- Burns SP. Acute respiratory infections in persons with spinal cord injury. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2007 May;18(2):203-16, v-vi. Review.
- Ehde DM, Jensen MP. Psychological treatments for pain management in persons with spinal cord injury: Cognitive therapy and self-hypnosis training. Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation, 2007;13:72-80.
- Evans CT, LaVela SL, Smith B, Wallace C, Goldstein B, Weaver FM. Response to the 2004-2005 influenza vaccine shortage in veterans with spinal cord injuries and disorders and their providers.
J Spinal Cord Med. 2007;30(1):20-6.
- Guihan M, Garber SL, Bombardier CH, Durazo-Arizu R, Goldstein B, Holmes SA. Lessons learned while conducting research on prevention of pressure ulcers in veterans with spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007 Jul;88(7):858-61.
- Jensen MP, Kuehn CM, Amtmann D, Cardenas DD.Symptom burden in persons with spinal cord injury.
Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007 May;88(5):638-45.
- Jensen MP, Stoelb BL, Molton IR. Measuring pain in persons with spinal cord injury. Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation, 2007;13: 20-34.
- LaVela S, Goldstein B, Smith B, Weaver FM. Working with symptoms of a respiratory infection: staff who care for high-risk individuals. Am J Infect Control. 2007 Sep;35(7):448-54.
- Moritz CT, Lucas TH, Perlmutter SI, Fetz EE. Forelimb movements and muscle responses evoked by microstimulation of cervical spinal cord in sedated monkeys. J Neurophysiol. 2007 Jan;97(1):110-20.
- Perry JC, Rosen J, Burns S. Upper-limb powered exoskeletal design. IEEE Trans Mechatron 2007;12(4):408-17.
- Petit A, Sellers DL, Liebl DJ, Tessier-Lavigne M, Kennedy TE, Horner PJ. Adult spinal cord progenitor cells are repelled by netrin-1 in the embryonic and injured adult spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Nov 6;104(45):17837-42. Epub 2007 Oct 31
- Price R, Ashwell ZR, Chang MW, Boninger ML, Koontz AM, Sisto SA. Upper-limb joint power and its distribution in spinal cord injured wheelchair users: steady-state self-selected speed versus maximal acceleration trials. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007 Apr;88(4):456-63.
- Raichle KA, Hanley M, Jensen MP, Cardenas DD. Cognitions, coping and social environment predict adjustment to pain in spinal cord injury. Journal of Pain, 2007;8:718-729.
- Smith BM, Evans CT, Kurichi J, Weaver FM, Patel N, Burns SP. Acute respiratory infection visits in veterans with SCI & D: Rates, trends and risk factors. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. 2007;30:355-361.
- Weaver FM, Smith B, LaVela S, Wallace C, Evans CT, Hammond M, Goldstein B. Interventions to increase influenza vaccination rates in veterans with spinal cord injuries and disorders.
J Spinal Cord Med. 2007;30(1):10-9.
- Arvanian VL, Bowers WJ, Anderson A, Horner PJ, Federoff HJ, Mendell LM. Combined delivery of neurotrophin-3 and NMDA receptors 2D subunit strengthens synaptic transmission in contused and staggered double hemisected spinal cord of neonatal rat. Exp Neurol 2006; 197(2):347-352.
- Cardenas DD, Jensen MP. Treatments for chronic pain in persons with spinal cord injury: A survey study. J Spinal Cord Med 2006; 29(2):109-117.
- Cardenas DD, Yilmaz B. Recruitment of spinal cord injury patients to clinical trials: challenges and solutions. Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil 2006; 11(3):12-23.
- Dudgeon BJ, Tyler EJ, Rhodes LA, Jensen MP. Managing usual and unexpected pain with physical disability: a qualitative analysis. Am J Occup Ther 2006; 60(1):92-103.
- Evans CT, LaVela SL, Smith B, Miskevics S, Weaver FM, Goldstein B. Influenza diagnosis and treatment in veterans with spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2006; 87(2):291-293.
- Fanucchi ER, Burns SP, Svircev JN. Custom braces for lower extremity fracture management in patients with spinal cord injuries. J Spinal Cord Med 2006;29(3):295.
- Hanley MA, Masedo A, Jensen MP, Cardenas D, Turner JA. Pain interference in persons with spinal cord injury: classification of mild, moderate, and severe pain. J Pain 2006; 7(2):129-133.
- Hanley MA, Jensen MP, Ehde DM, Robinson LR, Cardenas DD, Turner JA et al. Clinically significant change in pain intensity ratings in persons with spinal cord injury or amputation. Clin J Pain 2006; 22(1):25-31.
- Raichle KA, Osborne TL, Jensen MP, Cardenas D. The reliability and validity of pain interference measures in persons with spinal cord injury. J Pain 2006; 7(3):179-186.
- Sepahpanah F, Burns SP, McKnight B, Yang CC. Role of creatinine clearance as a screening test in persons with spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2006; 87(4):524-528.
- Sipski-Alexander M, Marino R, Kennelly M, Krassioukov A, Stiens S. Autonomic standards and SCI: preliminary considerations. Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil 2006; 11(3):101-109.
- Stroud MW, Turner JA, Jensen MP, Cardenas DD. Partner responses to pain behaviors are associated with depression and activity interference among persons with chronic pain and spinal cord injury. J Pain 2006; 7(2):91-99.
- Britton D, Goldstein B, Jones-Redmond J, Esselman P. Baclofen pump intervention for spasticity affecting pulmonary function. J Spinal Cord Med 2005; 28(4):343-347.
- Burns SP, Spanier DE. Break-technique handheld dynamometry: relation between angular velocity and strength measurements. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2005; 86(7):1420-1426.
- Burns SP , Yavari Rad M, Bryant S, Kapur V. Long-term treatment of sleep apnea in persons with spinal cord injury. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2005;84(8):20-6.
- Goetz LL, Stiens SA. Abdominal electric stimulation facilitates penile vibratory stimulation for ejaculation after spinal cord injury: a single-subject trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2005; 86(9):1879-1883.
- Goetz LL, Nelson AL, Guihan M, Bosshart HT, Harrow JJ, Gerhart KD, Bowers H, Krasnicka B, Burns SP. Provider adherence to implementation of clinical practice guidelines for neurogenic bowel in adults with spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med 2005;28(5):394-406.
- Kendall RW, Jacquemin G, Frost R, Burns SP. Creatine supplementation for weak muscles in persons with chronic tetraplegia: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled crossover trial. J Spinal Cord Med 2005; 28(3):208-213.
- Jensen MP, Hoffman AJ, Cardenas DD. Chronic pain in individuals with spinal cord injury: a survey and longitudinal study. Spinal Cord 2005; 43(12):704-712.
- Ragnarsson KT, Wuermser LA, Cardenas DD, Marino RJ. Spinal cord injury clinical trials for neurologic restoration: improving care through clinical research. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2005; 84(11 Suppl):S77-S97.
- Robinson, J., & Jensen, M.P. (2005). Chronic pain management in patients with a history of trauma. In L.R. Robinson (Ed.), Trauma rehabilitation. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, pp. 205-223..
- Burns, SP. Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine. Respiratory management following spinal cord injury: a clinical practice guideline for health-care professionals. J Spinal Cord Med. 2005;28(3):259-93.
- Jensen MP, Hoffman AJ, Cardenas DD. Chronic pain in individuals with spinal cord injury: a survey and longitudinal study. Spinal Cord 2005.
- Jensen MP, Hanley MA, Engel JM, Romano JM, Barber J, Cardenas DD et al. Hypnotic analgesia for chronic pain in persons with disabilities: a case series. Int J Clin Exp Hypn 2005; 53(2):198-228 .
- Dudgeon BJ, Ehde DM, Cardenas DD, Engel JM, Hoffman AJ, Jensen MP. Describing pain with physical disability: narrative interviews and the McGill Pain Questionnaire. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2005; 86(1):109-115.
- Masedo AI, Hanley M, Jensen MP, Ehde D, Cardenas DD. Reliability and validity of a self-report FIM (FIM-SR) in persons with amputation or spinal cord injury and chronic pain. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2005; 84(3):167-176.
- Chan L, Shumway-Cook A, Yorkston KM, Ciol MA, Dudgeon BJ, Hoffman JM. Design and validation of a methodology using the International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, to identify secondary conditions in people with disabilities. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2005; 86(5):1065-1069.
- Burns SP, Rad MY, Bryant S, Kapur V. Long-term treatment of sleep apnea in persons with spinal cord injury. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2005; 84(8):620-626.
- Burns SP, Nelson AL, Bosshart HT, Goetz LL, Harrow JJ, Gerhart KD et al. Implementation of clinical practice guidelines for prevention of thromboembolism in spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med 2005; 28(1):33-42.
- Burns SP, Breuninger A, Kaplan C, Marin H. Hand-held dynamometry in persons with tetraplegia: comparison of make- versus break-testing techniques. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2005; 84(1):22-29.
- Chang HT, Evans CT, Weaver FM, Burns SP, Parada JP. Etiology and outcomes of veterans with spinal cord injury and disorders hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2005; 86(2):262-267
- Ludwig MA, Burns SP. Spinal cord infarction following cervical transforaminal epidural injection: a case report. Spine 2005; 30(10):E266-E268
- Lynsmeyer T, Stiens SA, Neurogenic Bladder and Bowel Management. In: Delisa J, editor. Rehabilitation Medicine: Principles and Practice. Lippencott, 2005.
- Collins EG, Langbein WE, Smith B, Hendricks R, Hammond M, Weaver F. Patients' perspective on the comprehensive preventive health evaluation in veterans with spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord 2005; 43(6):366-374.
- Mohit AA, Mirza S, James J, Goodkin R. Charcot arthropathy in relation to autonomic dysreflexia in spinal cord injury: case report and review of the literature. J Neurosurg Spine 2005; 2(4):476-480.
- Avellino AM, Mann, FA, Grady MS, Chapman JR, Ellenbogen RG, Alden TD, and Mirza SK. The misdiagnosis of acute cervical spine injuries and fractures in infants and children: the 12-year experience of a level I pediatric and adult trauma center. Childs Nerv Syst. 2005 Feb;21(2):122-7. Epub 2004 Dec 18
- Cardenas DD, Hoffman JM, Kirshblum S, McKinley W. Etiology and incidence of rehospitalization after traumatic spinal cord injury:
a multicenter analysis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004 Nov;85(11):1757-63.