Participate in Research
The Northwest Regional SCI System is seeking participants for a study designed to improve care for
people with SCI who are dealing with pain, low mood, or being less physically active than they want to
be. You may qualify for this study if you have a traumatic SCI, are at least 18 years old, and receive care
at either Harborview or UW Medical Center Rehabilitation Clinics.
Participants will be randomly assigned (50/50) to receive either usual medical care or usual care plus a
health assistant who will:
- Strengthen the connection between you and your doctor or nurse practitioner.
- Monitor your progress and assist with any problems that keep you from reaching your goals.
- Relay information to and from your health care provider in between appointments.
- Offer non‐medical alternatives to pain, mood, or becoming more active.
Study participation will take place over four months. Most study activities will take place over the phone
or at regularly scheduled clinic visits so extra trips to Harborview or UW will not be necessary.
Participants will complete three questionnaires by phone. There is payment of up to $50 for
Learn more about this study and find out if you qualify by calling Missy at 206‐744‐3608 (Toll Free 866‐
495‐7015) or send an email to email@example.com. (Note: We cannot guarantee confidentiality of
information sent via email.)
Power over Pain (POP) Study
People with multiple sclerosis (MS) and spinal cord injury (SCI) often experience chronic pain. Different types of treatment that include self-hypnosis, education about chronic pain, and learning skills on how to change how a person thinks about his/her pain have been used to treat chronic pain in the general population. The purpose of this study is to see if these different treatments can help decrease pain in people with MS and SCI, and how and why these treatments are effective.
Participation in the study involves:
- Four in-person treatment sessions that last about 60 minutes;
- Two in-person brain activity assessments at the University of Washington before and after treatment that last about one hour;
- Telephone interviews before, during and after treatment.
Participation in the study will last approximately 14 months. Compensation for completion of the brain activity assessments, telephone interviews, and parking will be provided.
You may be eligible to participate if you are at least 18 years of age, have MS or SCI, and experience chronic pain. For further information about this study, please contact research staff at 206-221-7224 or toll-free 800-570-5576. You may also provide your contact information by filling out a brief online form here, and research staff will contact you shortly.