Winter 2012: Volume 21, Number 1
- Funding Renewed for UW's Spinal Cord Injury Model System
The Northwest Regional SCI System was awarded $2.3 million from the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR) to continue as an SCI Model System of care and research for another five years. Read about the programs and research activities this grant supports.
- First SCI Wellness Summit Draws Large Audience of Consumers and Clinicians
A joint effort of the UW Rehabilitation Medicine Department's SCI Forum and the SCI Transitions and Wellness Program, this half-day educational program attracted more than 50 attendees and featured presentations by staff and faculty as well as displays by manufacturers of wheelchairs and other technology.
- SCI Forum: Everyday Nutrition for Individuals with Spinal Cord Injury
Nutrition is important after SCI to maintain health, manage bowel and bladder function, and reduce the risk of developing common complications of SCI like diabetes, obesity, pressure sores, and osteoporosis. Watch the video or read the report of this forum to learn about your nutrition needs and how to establish a healthy diet.
- Literature Review: 13 abstracts of medical journal articles on SCI topics
Read about recent research findings on pain, pressure ulcers, weight management, stem cell therapies and other topics related to spinal cord injury.
- Download a printer-friendly version of this newsletter (999KB PDF)
- SCI Forum reports and videos you may have missed:
- Find articles from past newsletters in our newsletter archive.
Participate in research
Opportunities for individuals with SCI to participate in UW research studies.